Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Scorpions

I've never been bitten by a scorpion. Or even a bee or a wasp, actually. I'm a pretty lucky gal. 


Neither has my friend Deb, who is joining me on the Migrant Walk in a couple weeks. We'll be walking 75 miles from Sasabe, Mexico to Tucson, Arizona as we remember those who have crossed the desert and suffered or died.


Somehow scorpions (and our fear of them) came up in a conversation last night. Meeting these little buggers in the desert is one experience we hope to avoid.


Last night as I drifted off to sleep what was the one thing on my mind? Scorpions, of course. 




...and I continued to dream about them all. night. long.


But the reality is, they came to me in my dreams. As I slept in a warm bed, far away from the reality of feeling them crawl on me.


And the reality is, there are immigrants sleeping in the desert who will meet scorpions tonight. They cannot take refuge in a home. They will not be protected from the dangerous elements of the desert (scorching heat, wild animals, armed bandits). 


May we remember them in our prayers tonight and let us be spurred to action so people meeting scorpions in the desert will not longer be a reality. 

No comments:

Post a Comment